I went to bed trying to get some sleep and the dumbest thing popped into my head. I have a transformer/power converter for my laptop that I bought when I was going to on a big trip to Europe in 2007 on exchange. I wondered...is the plug the same. Well, I love google. I googled the image "RUSSIAN PLUGS" and it showed pictures of the plugs. They are the same as Europe.
If anyone is going to Russia, the best converter in the world for a U.S. stuff to foreign voltage is at Brookstone ($25.00). Most malls have Brookstone. It weighs about 1.5 lbs and you have to buy little fuses at Radio Shack. But this sucker will work for laptops, hairdryers, fax machines, etc. without anything blowing up. So I'm very proud of myself that I have it, but would have felt an idiot hauling it over and then not being able to actually plug it in. I've had conversations with two of three Grandmothers today and owe a call to another of the grandmothers. One was laughing at me (my Mom) for worrying and the other is worrying more than me. So she said I don't have to worry anymore because she's worrying enough for the both of us(that's directed at you Midge).
Our child is so fortunate to have so many grandparents living. I hope they stay around a long, long time to see their grandchild grow up. We have my mother, my father, Andy's mother, and my stepmother Judy. I'm going to have to beat them off with a stick I think or this is going to be a VERY spoiled little one.
I'm not as frenetic today as I have been. As a matter of fact, things are dragging a little bit. I'm taking a step back and savoring this anticipation. I want to look back and see how much I was longing for this. This will especially be important when shorty is having a crying fit or I'm changing diapers. I've been trying out nicknames until we know a real name...stealing from others ... we have 'peanut', 'munchkin', little bit, 'yoo hoo', 'kiddo', 'kidarusky'(I kinda like this one)... I'll be able to put a real name to this blog next week I hope.
I've started a journal (you know one you actually write not type) like a letter to my child so he/she can know what we are feeling later on. I'm sincerely hoping to keep this child connected to the Russian heritage, but I've also been writing about what has been going on in our world this year...particularly this week. Whomever you voted for, the spectacle of an inauguration that has so transfixed the world is an amazing thing. This is the beauty of the U.S. that we can be tied to our heritage from several generations ago, or from our own childhood, yet be so proud to be citizens of this great country.
I've always been fascinated by my family's Scottish heritage and so I explored that several years ago and really got a thrill out of it. I know a lot of Russian history from my college days and my time in St. Petersburg. I'm not going to push this knowledge on him/her, but if they want to know it...I've got it.
Well, I think I've done my brain dumping for today. Thanks for reading.

Stacye,
ReplyDeleteI kept a journal while we were in Russia. I would write in it on the long car rides to and from the orphanage.It will be something that this child can read later on . Also leave a journal at the Orphanage for the caregivers to write a little something in. We were so suprised that Ava's caregiver had written in the journal with beautiful pictures that she had drawn and took pictures with the disposable camera we left. These are both so precious to us.
Good luck and safe travels!
Nicole