Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bit of Russian Culture and today



Yesterday (Sunday) March 8th was Women's Day. It's a combination of Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, and a celebration of womanhood all wrapped up together. During Women's Day, men bring the women in their lives flowers and chocolate. Maybe make breakfast for the wife. Our driver, S., included me in this tradition and I got beautiful tulips this year. It was really neat surprise.

When we got to the hotel yesterday and got settled. I apparently laid my head down for 'just a minute' and passed out sleeping. Andy went and got our dinner. Well any of you who know my husband, know he's a sucker for sausage. We went to Poland in 2005 and he ate it everyday. Last time we were here he was dying to try a sausage stand that is all over town but never had the time for anything. We figured out that the cyrillic translates as 'stardogs'...but looking at the cyrillic it looks like 'crapdogs'. He just thought that was the funniest and he finally got his chance. So for dinner he got two of them.

For a guy who can't learn 2 Russian words after months of trying, he can get what he wants. He got the sausage, milk, and two enormous chocolate pastries. So he brought me that as my Women's Day present and dinner. It was pretty good actually. I think I am going to have to forcefully keep him away from the 'stardog' stand.

It's 7am and our day is about to begin. I couldn't sleep anymore so I thought I would get up and get my shower and write. We're meeting T at 11am and headed to the baby house to see Alina again. We will actually have a few hours with her today.

For those of you who gave us clothes for the orphanage, I'm taking those over there today. Two suitcases worth of stuff. I'm sure they can use it. Thanks again for your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment